Watch the film!

Monday, June 21, 2010

In the Wittertainment Nerve Centre

Saturday June 19

I'm writing this outside at the Southbank near Waterloo Station, where someone appears to have erected a large garish ferris wheel.


Spent the morning at BBC Television Centre, where a lovely FiveLive producer named David Braithwaite took me into the Wittertainment Nerve Centre and I sat in with them for the duration of the programme. The operation there runs at the speed an precision of a good Rude Goldberg Machine - sorting through emails, printing the good ones, highlighting paragraphs, organising them by topics, picking up interesting tweets (you'll be comforted to know that it is indeed Dr Mayo running the Wittertainment twitter, with the occasional contribution from Dr K on his laptop), patching in the various News and Sport related interlopers. There's a small crew of extremely hard working and pleasant people on the job there - and they laugh at all the same gags we do - including the flappy hand action.

Dr K bolted straight after the recording - he muttered something about napalm and the Pirates 4 production office, but I didn't quite catch it - but Dr Mayo stopped in to say Hello and check up on the progress of the Frankenstein's monster that he and Mark have unintentionally wrought. He seemed a little bemused at my lack of interest in the football, told me it was a long way to come to watch a radio programme being recorded (I thought it was perfectly justifiable - and hopefully a tax write off) and wished me good luck with my totally insane enterprise. Disconcertingly, he looks younger than I do. Perhaps it's the 'Born Again Floozies' T-shirt. He suggested to me via Twitter that it might be time to erect the 'Benjamin Sniddlegrass Theme Park'. There's a big grassy area near my hotel that doesn't seem to be getting used for anything - the sign nearby says 'Hydepark'. Will have to get in touch with the local authority.

I have to say this London trip is all panning out rather well so far. I've got some good exterior shooting done (some of the grounds of Fairport Academy and Benjamin's childhood home), got into the FiveLive studios without having to disguise myself as Danny Baker and last night I performed a kazoo solo at Royal Festival Hall*.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted as the trip continues. Ta for now.

Jeremy Dylan
Aged 20
London, England

*to answer the inevitable questions:
1. I played 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.
2. Hopefully you'll be able to hear it when the next series of I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue airs, assuming I don't get edited out of the broadcast.

1 comment:

  1. SO DAMN JEALOUS!!! Mayo looking as warmly grumpy as ever :)

    ReplyDelete